Minnesota’s labor movement, long-committed to supporting union publications, websites, social media and other communications, was rewarded with numerous awards at the annual convention of the International Labor Communications Association.
Awards were presented at the ILCA convention held Oct. 19-21 in St. Louis.
Among the winners were this website, Workday Minnesota, and other projects of the University of Minnesota Labor Education Service.
Here is the list of awards to Minnesota-based organizations:
AFSCME Council 5 Minnesota
- First Place for Best Feature Story, “Plowing straight into a winter white-out: MnDOT drivers brave the ice, read the snow like tea leaves,” by Lynette Kalsnes
- Second Place for General Excellence for Stepping Up Magazine
Minneapolis Labor Review, publication of the Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation
- Second Place Saul Miller Award for Coverage of Collective Bargaining, “Day four of strike: Nurses highlighted violence they suffer on job” by Steve Share
- Honorable Mention for General Excellence
- Honorable Mention for Best Design
Union Advocate, publication of the St. Paul Regional Labor Federation
- Second Place for Best Editorial or Column, “Missed opportunity 50 years ago offers insight into labor’s current challenges” by Dave Kamper
- Third Place for Best Analysis, “Fight for $15 putting upward pressure where it’s needed on wages” by Michael Moore
University of Minnesota Labor Education Service
- First Place for Best Issues/Advocacy Video, “APWU Fighting for Justice,” Howard Kling
- First Place for Best Longform Video, “U.S. Labor Delegation to Vietnam 2016: Building Solidarity and Friendship,” Howard Kling
- General Excellence in Websites for Workday Minnesota
- First Place for Best Series, “Wage Theft,” articles and videos by Barb Kucera, Howard Kling, Randy Croce and Joey Getty
- Second Place for Best Issues/Advocacy Video, “Wage Theft Video Collection,” by Howard Kling and Randy Croce
- Second Place for Best News Video, “$15/Hour – Now Voters Will Decide,” by Randy Croce
- Third Place for Best News Video, “Minnesota Nurses Begin Open Ended Strike on Labor Day 2016,” by Howard Kling
- Honorable Mention for Best Multimedia Campaign, “Wage Theft,” Barb Kucera, Howard Kling, Randy Croce, Josh Keller and Joey Getty
View the full list of award winners on the ILCA website.